Study Tips as GHS heads in to First Semester Final Exams

As we are heading in to first semester final exams, here are some helpful reminders and tips on how to prepare and study for those difficult 90 minute exams:

Catch some Zzz’s…

Don’t stay up until 4 a.m. studying for a test! Sleeping helps your brain process and “organize” memories and new information. Sleep, as well, helps you focus and perform better on tasks (Imagine that!).

Break it Up!

Multiple studies show breaking up your study sessions into more manageable chunks rather than one big one (aka cramming) is more effective. Your brain is better at encoding information in short repeated intervals rather than one large session. Breaking up tasks or homework into 5-10 chunks also stops procrastinating big task to the last minute.

Keep the Flow!

Pick one specific goal to work on in your session that you are struggling with. One defined clear goal to understand and learn one topic for class will help keep focus and motivation in your study time.

Practice!

Any form of practice testing that allows students to test themselves, including using actual or virtual flashcards, doing problems or questions at the end of textbook chapters, or taking practice tests. Any simulation of material in a form of a test or quiz will help you review what you do not know and help gain confidence for the actual test date.

Reward it!

We all have long term goals like getting an A at the end of the semester in that one class, but with the reward so far off in the future it’s hard to stay motivated. Instead make short term goals for yourself. For example, for an hour you practice problems for math and you get to watch a show (or whatever you like to do) and repeat the process. That way you also get a break and are ready for the next set. Adjust this however you would like but make it reasonable you shouldn’t be studying for 10 minutes and have a reward that gives you an hour break.

Final exams are on December 20th, 21st, and 22nd. Good luck and happy studying, Geneva!