GHS faculty reacts to the Lindsay Souvannarath story

On Friday, February 13th one of Geneva’s own, Lindsay Souvannarath, was arrested for plotting a mass shooting set to take place the next day. This news came as a shock to the entire Geneva community, it was hard to believe that someone who grew up here, was friends with people who grew up here, and went through the public schools could be capable of such a terrible act. Having graduated only five years ago, her memory is still fresh in the minds of the faculty at Geneva High School.

At GHS, Lindsay took three years of German class, her former teacher, Mrs. Swidenbank,  was appalled  to hear the news. She saw Lindsay as a normal student who never revealed any information that she may have been interested in hate groups and mass murder.

Since hearing the tragic news of Lindsay’s involvement in a murder plot, Mrs. Swidenbank, along with everyone else at GHS has been taken aback. It has come as a total surprise, because the teachers that were interviewed described her as a normal girl.  Mrs. Swidenbank explained how the news impacted her, “Well I’ve gotten bad news about former students before and its always really devastating–as a former teacher I care about these kids. I see them grow up and I watch them usually over three or four years of German class. I like my students so much and of course I don’t want anything bad to happen to them and of course don’t want them to be involved in anything like this, so it was really shocking to hear about it and it was devastating.”

Upon hearing the news Mr. Ochsner, Lindsay’s former art teacher, shared his reaction to the crime, “I find this thinking inhuman, I can’t imagine it.  I can’t imagine anyone I know considering this inhuman crime.” Art classes at GHS have a tight-knit welcoming environment where, according to Mr. Ochsner, Lindsay as well as all other students were strongly encouraged to participate in class. In response to being asked how well he knew Lindsay and if she made any pieces that might have been concerning, Mr. Ochsner responded with, “She always participated appropriately. I knew her as well as I knew any student and I saw no signs of what she’s accused of.” Lindsay seemed like a normal, completely harmless student, which is why the recent news of her involvement in a mass murder plot has affected Geneva so much.

These reactions are just the tip of the iceberg; both students and faculty are astounded that something so horrific was happening in our bubble of Geneva. However, the faculty of Geneva are determined not to let this unfortunate event taint GHS. “I’m not going to let this ugliness change the way I teach, but if any work gives me reason for concern, I would absolutely bring it to the attention of administration. I want my class to be a safe place to be, safe to express feelings and safe to work.” said Mr. Ochsner in response to being asked if this will change the way he looks at the school and its students.