Treacherous Mobility

The mobile classrooms at Geneva High School that were installed over the summer of 2016, have been a source of great controversy and confusion. The safety and security of this extension has been questioned by parents, students, and teachers alike.

With the purchase and construction of the outdoor mobile classrooms that are currently in use costing upwards of $700,000, some wonder if the 6 extra classrooms were worth the cost. According to a district log, Geneva High School currently uses 80% to 119% of space throughout the day. The classrooms, while necessary for the school to operate with it’s large classes, could be a potential safety hazard.

The lack of any kind of canopy or covering from the ninety-four foot walk from the school’s exit to the door of the classrooms has caused some issues, and could cause many more. While salt is put out every morning before classes in the winter, students wonder how much protection they are truly provided with after serious or significant weather conditions. Due to the location of the mobiles relative to other classes in the building, many students have also been late to their classes coming from the main building to the mobiles.

One student who has classes in the mobiles, freshman Colton Dixon, stated, “My papers got wet a couple of times, and my answers got smudged for English, I was really angry.” Another freshman, Jack Viebrock, mentioned,  “It’s just not safe out there… Somebody could just come up and grab somebody… Nobody would notice, and by the time they noticed, they couldn’t get out there to stop them.”

As the rainy spring season approaches, the chance of injury increases. Luckily, this winter was fairly warm, so the city of Geneva has had little ice and snowfall, but an overly rainy spring could cause serious problems. Without a canopy for such outdoor conditions, there is little being done to protect students from nature’s elements, and though it may only be a mere ninety-four feet, many still feel that it’s dangerous for students to be in the open.

While the new mobile classrooms provide a new plethora of space available for students and teachers and to growing classroom size, it brings up legitimate concerns for the safety of students that cause great controversy.