Return to PLC Thursdays

For years, Geneva High School held PLC every Thursday morning. Due to Covid’s social distancing guidelines PLC has been canceled the past two years, but this year, 2022, GHS has determined it safe to return to PLC.

PLC is something not many schools have. It is a late start day where students are not required to be at school until 8:30 but have the option to be at school during the normal time to catch up on their studies. Every now and then students will have a mandatory PLC during the time where they have events such as assemblies or club fairs.

GHS students are embracing the return of PLC with open arms.

“I enjoy PLC a lot,” senior Sarah Carlson said. “They give students a great time to study or get a better understanding of the information they’ve learned.”

While students are loving PLC days as a whole, mandatory PLC is not as popular.

“I dislike mandatory PLC,” she said. “It is boring and doesn’t give me time to do what I want or need to do.”

PLC is anything but lacking in activities for students to do.

“I attend club meetings during PLC because it’s a great time to hold them,” Carlson said.

Fellow senior Braden Gilsinn had a different approach to using his PLC days.

“I sleep in or on the rare occasion I have homework I get it done,” Braden Gilsinn said.

While some students are seeing the return of PLC days, some are having it for the first time ever.

“I missed PLC during covid because I liked either getting extra sleep or more study time,” Carlson said.

Junior Chase Sorrentino has PLC for the first time after missing PLC his first two years of high school due to Covid.

“I’m not upset I didn’t have PLC because of covid, but having it now is a definite plus,” Chase Sorrentino said.

Although students are enjoying PLC days, there are some minor inconveniences they would change.

“I dislike how it changes the schedule of my day because I get used to the normal schedule and then the timing is all thrown off,” Sorrentino said.

Along with throwing off the routine of the normal day, PLC changed classes from ending at a normal time to ending at random times.

“I don’t like how each class ends or starts on a weird time,” Gilsinn said. “I would find a time to start school that makes classes end or start on a 5 or 10.”

Students were expecting PLC to be the same as it was before the two-year gap. Fundamentally PLC has remained the same, but the students’ course load has changed.

“Freshman year PLC I had a lot more homework to do from all my classes, this year I have little to no homework to do during the extra time so I get to sleep in more compared to freshman year,” Gilsinn said.

The return of PLC days has students excited, and gives them something to look forward to in the middle of the week. Although it looks different than it did before, it brings back a sense of normality to students.