Geneva Cheer Places Third at Competition

Sports at GHS represent the competitive spirit and drive within students. From the unmatchable Blue Crüe energy at football games, to the creative chants shouted at each and every basketball meet, there is never a dull moment when it comes to sports. But standing on the sidelines cheering enthusiastically alongside students and thrilling crowds with stunts and flips are GHS’ very own Viking cheerleaders.

Cheerleading has been depicted in the media for decades as the preferred activity of prissy, popular girls. Cheerleaders are consistently portrayed as spiteful and rude, and the sport itself is shown to require little hard work and be relatively low stakes. This could not be further from the truth. Cheerleading is one of the most challenging, and dangerous sports out there. Injuries in cheerleading are far from uncommon, and more than comparable with that of football. Between flipping, tumbling and the electrifying stunts, GHS cheerleaders are the unsung heroes of sporting events. They generate a palpable energy everywhere they go, and yet they still don’t hold half of the fame of football or basketball stars. This doesn’t dampen their spirits, however. They maintain a sure, confident smile at each game, and get students involved by chanting their famous “V-I-C-T-O-R-Y” cheer.

Beyond cheering on various sports teams at GHS, the cheer team travels across Illinois competing. The past few years have been tough sledding for the cheer team due to multiple injuries and losing members, but they never let that diminish their quite literal sparkle. Within even just the last week, they’ve been hit hard with hurt teammates. However, last Wednesday, they managed to defy the odds.

The Vikings went into Wednesday’s competition with a goal to improve. The competition was fierce; the Vikings competed against 7 other cheer squads, and, just like them, each team had practiced for countless hours prior to the competition. Every aspect of each routine has been planned to the last detail. Any number of things could go wrong, as they had in the past. Stunts could come crashing to the ground, and tumblers could stumble and fall.

All those fears washed away when the Vikings took the floor. Every stunt hit, every flip landed, and their smiles and attitudes thrilled the crowd. Tangible energy consumed the room when the Vikings performed, and absolutely overwhelming applause echoed across the gym from all the Vikings fans present. It was by far their best performance of this cheer season, and inspired confidence for the remainder of the year.

The rest of the cheer teams present completed their routines, including Geneva rival Batavia, and soon it was time for awards. Suspense filled the room as the announcer rambled through the routine “thank you’s” to all the parents and cheer coaches. The Geneva cheerleaders sat in a tight circle, hands locked in prayer and hope. The announcer’s voice rumbled throughout the increasingly heated gym,

“In third place…”

Photo courtesy of the Geneva Vikings Cheer Twitter Account

Nothing could be heard but the shaky deep breathes across the room.

“The Geneva Vikings.”

The whole team stood up, screaming their heads off in complete delight. They jumped up and down in a bundle of smiles, hugging each other as if the rest of the world didn’t matter. The Viking fans in the stands cheered wildly as the rest of the crowd politely clapped. It was a huge moment for the Geneva cheer squad. It had been a long while since they had placed, and coming out above competitors like Batavia was an all around victory.

The season is not over yet. The Vikings will compete this Saturday, January 27th, 2018 at Belvidere North High School at 5:58pm. Let’s support our cheerleaders by cheering them on in the stands wearing our Viking Blue!