The student news site of Geneva Community High School in Geneva, Illinois

Voyager

• June 6Stay Informed!!!

• June 6See You Next Year!!!

• June 6Happy Summer!!!

Coach Wicinski wins IHSFCA award

Evan Tawzer, Editor-in-Chief

Geneva High School football coach Rob Wicinski is a 2016 IHSFCA (Illinois High School High School Football Coaches Association) hall of fame inductee.

According to the Kane County Chronicle, he was inducted on April 2nd during a luncheon at Champaign’s Hilton Garden Inn.  He is one of 16.

Wicinski has been coaching high school football for around 30 years, 17 of those in Geneva.  “High school coaches staying for a long time used to be more common.  Jerry Auschetter was here for 27 years.  It’s getting to be more rare because it’s a very demanding job,” Mr. Kafer said.

With a rocky start in his first four years at Geneva, he has amassed a 120-88 career record.  “The bottom line is that I’ve had great players, you can’t have success without great players,” he said.

His players have spoken of the positive impact their coach has had on them.  “I went in as a junior and he was a mentor to me for two years.  Being on the team and in the weight room Friday mornings with him was always a good time,” Zack Thompson, senior football player said.

Many of his players have known him for a long time.  “I’d do the football camps with him when I was little and respected him a lot,” Tim Green, senior football player said.

Wicinski has had a lot of administrative support over the years, but cites his family as his biggest support as a coach. “You can’t do it unless your family’s on board.  I was very lucky to have a sports family,” Wicinski said.

Although it has never been about the milestones with Wicinski, he has more goals for the future.  “I’d like to win a couple more conference championships if I can, maybe make it to state again,” he said.