The student news site of Geneva Community High School in Geneva, Illinois

Voyager

• June 6Stay Informed!!!

• June 6See You Next Year!!!

• June 6Happy Summer!!!

One Acts

Student-directed One Act Plays are an ongoing success

Delaney Pannier, Clubs and Activities Editor

The Student-directed One Act Plays, also known as SOAP, was an entertaining masterpiece that revealed the talents of GHS students. Inspired by the acts of Saturday Night Live, students displayed hilarious acting, singing and dancing.

The One Acts are unlike any production done by the theater department. For one thing, there is no director in charge of the entire show. Students have the say in directing and controlling all aspects of this performance. Students could reenact plays or write an original one that has never been performed before.

This talented cast showed their abilities to act confidently and engross the audience into their performance. Seniors Maddy Donatelli, Bethany Nelson, Aly Fogel, Marc Belon, Natalie Carberry, Margot Downey, Quinn Falk, Theodore James Ferrell III, Coraline Rau, and Brandon Nickelson all shined bright on their last year of One Acts.

The performance started out with the play titled Text Message Confusion written by Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele and directed by junior Annie Brown. The two characters performed by seniors Natalie Carberry and Margot Downey displayed the confusion of interpreting text messages. Both actresses performed with ease and humor.

The play titled Surprise Party inspired from SNL was directed by seniors Aly Fogel and Maddy Donatelli. This play was about the emotional journey of Sue who flips out when she hears she will be attending a surprise party. Caroline Rau starring as Sue was absolutely flawless in her performance showing the hilarity of this insane character. Caroline Rau literally and figuratively laid everything she had on the stage.

The finale titled Springtime for Hitler from the Musical, The Producers and directed by seniors Natalie Carberry, Maddy Donatelli, and Quinn Falk. It was a story about a struggling broadway producer who is visited by an accountant who then explains that a musical that fails can make more money than one that succeeds. This is what they plan to do with a musical Springtime for Hitler however it turns out to be a great success.

The tech crew was on point with every single stage set up. The stage was always set up simple, which helped magnify the talents of the actors. The tech crew worked hard to set up the stage and capture the essence of the performance in a timely fashion.

The One Acts were a huge success this year and if this production foreshadows the level of performance for the spring musical Our Fair Lady, then the musical should be another huge hit.