The student news site of Geneva Community High School in Geneva, Illinois

Shots fired

The moderate gun control policies that President Barack Obama announced this past Tuesday are not very substantial or the most effective ways to hinder the horrendous number of people killed by guns in the United States. The most effective approach would be for Congress to act, but with the way things are going currently, they refuse to stick up to the gun rights lobby, even with overwhelming public support for conscious reforms. The president’s additional steps seem to at least recognize the urgent changes that we need to make that can really only be enhanced when Congress decides to truly act on the issue.

The president has moved to now fix breakdowns under current law that permits criminals and other people who cannot legally obtain firearms to get them anyway. After a series of executive decision making, the administration has moved to broaden background checks on all “private gun sales”, and to close any loose ends on the sales of lethal weapons. The White House is now asking for 200 newly trained and hired federal agents to administer the nation’s gun laws. $500 million is being asked to go towards all mental health programs; this large investment would require congressional approval as well.

These efforts only account for a fraction of the problem and pose no risk to our Second Amendment right to bear arms. The White House indicated that anyone who is selling firearms has to be licensed and carry out a background check on all weapon buyers. Officials will be enforcing these tactics, especially on gun sales through the Internet and at gun shows. It is in these circumstances where many gun sellers slip through the cracks and state that they are just casual sellers.

Under the steps announced Tuesday, the government acknowledged that the issue is not how many guns are being sold or where they are being sold, but whether they are “actively engaged in the business.” These changes will not close the loophole people use to unlawfully purchase guns, but it will help with recordkeeping. Along with having increased firearm agents, authorities will be able to uncover illegal operations more easily.

The Republican presidential candidates did not waste any time on lashing out about this hot button issue. Before Obama’s proposal even happened the Republican Party was already assuming it was an assault on our Second Amendment rights. On Monday, Senator Ted Cruz declared that, “We beat the bad guys by using our guns.” Jeb Bush seems to be the most taken back by the situation, claiming that the order shows “utter disregard” for our Constitution.

None of that’s true. The plan simply supports the government’s ability to administer laws that have already been made. This plan will also aid in strengthening the current mental health system; these are the exact two responses that the Republican Party asks for after any sort of mass shooting. Obama can only do so much without the help of Congress, he can only act within the bounds of his authority to carry out the rule of law.

Our Nation will not truly grasp the seriousness of gun-related violence until Congress decides to pass laws that ban the sale of assault weapons and require universal background checks on all firearm purchasers. Obama’s plan is by no means a solution, but it is definitely shifting our country’s public safety in the right direction, and should create more pressure on Congress to thoroughly act on the situation.

Voyager • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

Any comments deemed inappropriate by staff will be removed.
All Voyager Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *