The student news site of Geneva Community High School in Geneva, Illinois

Voyager

• June 6Stay Informed!!!

• June 6See You Next Year!!!

• June 6Happy Summer!!!

These drinks really are monsters

Although there are many ways and types of consuming energy drinks, the ingredients put into them rarely change.

Natalie White, Health Editor

Monster. Red Bull. Nos. Whatever gives you “wings.” Energy drinks are on the rise almost as fast as coffee is, but what are you really flying into?

Whether you’re studying or just having a late night with your friends, you reach for something to give you that extra kick you need to make it through the night. However, these drinks result in a higher chance of a crash-and-burn effect. So if you’re looking for a way to stay up, maybe try a good night’s sleep next time.

The dangers of energy drinks are known, but normally just given the cold shoulder. Energy drinks are NOT regulated by the FDA, according to the Carroll County Health Department. This means that nobody really knows what’s in them, which causes rumors about the drinks having bull semen in them. Energy drinks have a lot of caffeine and sugar in them (obviously) that makes the blood sugar and pressure rise. Because of this effect, they actually dehydrate the body, making you think that you need more.

Also, the sugar and caffeine levels produce irritability, anxiety, sleeplessness and nausea, Carroll County Health Department says.

Would you drink a Monster after these info graphics?

Not only are people using these drinks to wake up, they’re using them to mix drinks as well. Mixing alcohol and energy drinks causes the effect of feeling less drunk, so some people get behind the wheel of a car and drive blackout drunk.

“Surveys show that 25-81% of college students who mix alcohol and energy drinks consume more alcohol and participate in binge drinking than those who don’t,” Today’s Dietitian says.

While this occurrence is common for college students, it’s common for high school ones as well. Remember Four Loko? Yeah, so does everyone else. They remember all the news about people dying or getting hospitalized because of this pre-made energy/alcohol drink. The only difference between Four Loko and that monster-vodka drink your friend just handed you is that it’s in a red solo cup.

Most energy drinks actually have more taurine than Cocaine, an energy drink that literally has cocaine in it.

Most energy drinks have the same amount of chemicals/energy as Cocaine, an energy drink that literally has cocaine in it.

Now you’re probably thinking “Well what am I supposed to do now? Get eight hours of sleep? HA!” No matter how much we wish that we never got exhausted during the day, that would be physically impossible. What you CAN do to limit your intake of your “happy juice” is eat well, get plenty of sleep, drink water, workout or move around when tired, and cut back on caffeine slowly.

“Unfortunately, kids and teenagers are among the most likely consumers of these beverages. Energy drinks are heavily-marketed to young people, who are less likely to be aware of the possible dangers of these beverages.” Huffington Post says.

Even though these drinks are made for young people looking for those extra two hours of staying out, reach for a glass of water next time and make it home safely.

1 Comment

One Response to “These drinks really are monsters”

1. Chris Ulrich on October 21st, 2015 11:34 am

What about drinks like Mountain Dew Kickstart? They’re mostly Mountain Dew with flavorings and some vitamins c & B. They even have less sugar than Coke, and are being sold as an “enhanced soda”: http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/mountain-dew-kick-start

[Reply]

Any comments deemed inappropriate by staff will be removed.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• These drinks really are monsters

Editorials

Meryl Streep’s Controversial Speech at the 74th Golden Globe Awards

• Editorials

State of the union: road to disunion?

• Editorials

Finals before holiday break; a healthier way to test

• These drinks really are monsters

Editorials

Third party candidates: a wasted vote?

• These drinks really are monsters

Editorials

Prom mania

• These drinks really are monsters

Editorials

Jewel faux pas: A cautionary tale

• These drinks really are monsters

Editorials

Finals prep for procrastinators

• These drinks really are monsters

Editorials

Mark Ruffalo on the importance of good journalism

• These drinks really are monsters

Editorials

Is Donald Trump mirroring Adolf Hitler’s tactics to rise to power?

• Editorials

The glass ceiling

These drinks really are monsters