The 100 year old high school rivalry

Genevas Daniel Santacaterina throws a pass at Batavia High School

Sean King

Geneva’s Daniel Santacaterina throws a pass at Batavia High School

When the sky turns dark, and the lights shine down on Burgess Field on October 16th, it won’t be the first time. Nor the second or third, but more so the 102nd year of the Geneva – Batavia rivalry. There have been blowouts, winning streaks, quadruple overtime games, but this year is different, as is every year.

Geneva and Batavia first played in 1913, when both teams didn’t even have a mascot. It wasn’t the Vikings vs Bulldogs, but simply Geneva vs. Batavia. The now named Bulldogs were once called the Vikings themselves during the thirties. Geneva once had a dominant 19 game winning streak which started the year after future NFL starting Quarterback, Ken Anderson, left Batavia. The history of these two teams’ competition is neverending. When asked what one word to describe the rivalry is, Batavia Head Coach Dennis Piron responded, “Important.” A different answer than the common of “Intense”, but a good different. This rivalry reaches further than the field or just the halls of both schools. “It instills a sense of pride for both communities” said George Scheetz, a director at Batavia Public Library who has done the most extensive research of anyone.

Since taking over the head coaching job, Coach Piron is 4-0 against Geneva. Having been a coach with Batavia since 1989, he struggles to find a favorite moment over all the years. After a few moments of deliberation, he mentions just last year when his own son played for him on the team. A game where Batavia narrowly pulled out the win backed by Geneva’s 5 interceptions. He mentions his excitement that this year’s game will once again be played for the conference title, a common theme in this rivalry.

In the midst of the war between who has the better fans and student section, the two “superfans” have come together for a good cause. They will be selling t shirts that both represent the game as well as support the fight to end breast cancer. All of the proceeds go to living well cancer center. A clear sign that the communities are trying to use the intensity of this game for a good cause.

Both coaches admit that this is the game they have circled at the beginning of the year. During the annual corn boil after the first day of school, Coach Wicinski commented on Geneva’s schedule, “You know, it’s always the team to the south…” referring to Batavia. Both teams know that this game decides not only bragging rights, but also the conference title. Both teams know they are coming into a fight, eleven versus eleven. Both teams know the other. Both teams know this rivalry. Both teams know, once it comes Friday night, it’s go time.