March Madness: not just basketball

March Madness is the time when many basketball fans’ tensions mount. However high school students around the country face another kind of pressure. The controversial topic of P.A.R.C.C testing has reached national headlines. Geneva High School administered the P.A.R.C.C exams this past March resulting in many confused students and parents.  According to our administration each state had a choice to choose one of the three new systems. They could decide to create their own test, to choose the Partner Assessment Readiness for College and Career (P.A.R.C.C.), or another test called Smarter Balance. This test is replacing the ISATS for grades 3-8 and in the process of replacing the PSAE for the high schoolers. P.A.R.C.C has two sets of tests; one given during the month of March and the other given out in April. The first is a paper-based testing system, which means the tester is proving their answer instead of just filling in a bubble. The end of the year test is more comparative to a standardized test where a majority of the questions are multiple-choice. P.A.R.C.C.’s goal is to eventually add in a science section to their tests alongside the already existing math and English exams. The tests have been in the works for 7 years, and this is the first time they have been given out. According to the administration, Geneva had a choice to choose what grade level should complete the exam, though it was recommended juniors or freshmen take it. Algebra I and English I students were selected to take part in the exams instead of the juniors, who were also taking the ACT during the time window given.

GHS is still waiting to see the results, and not even our administration knows how they will be graded. The students are the last piece to P.A.R.C.Cs experiment. Once results are out, the student’s overall score will possibly be put on their transcripts and be open to colleges to view. However, the administration acknowledged that not all colleges will care to see it. We are not sure about what the future holds for P.A.R.C.C. and it’s success rate, so for now it’s a mystery as to what specific colleges will and will not look at this test to determine student admission.  With results hopefully coming back soon, much of the confusion for parents and students will disperse.