Geneva say no to Marquette Apartments?

Real estate developers from the Marquette Company have big plans for area previously occupied by the Centron building. Their complex proposal incorporates plans for a five story apartment complex, a parking garage and a retail building covering a total of 4.5 acres. If they are built, the Marquette Apartments and other buildings will occupy land in between State Street, Richards Street, Peyton Street and as far west as 7th Street. The proposal arranges for high-end apartments with a variety of amenities including a rooftop pool, outdoor kitchen and garden spaces, places to store bikes, space for dogs to run and a 24 hour fitness center.

However, opposition to the Marquette Company’s plans has been overwhelming over the past few months. Many residents around Geneva have put up signs in their yards reading, “Geneva say no to Marquette Apartments” and passionate Genevans have even created a Facebook page to support their cause.

Many concerns regarding the apartments were clearly expressed at the last public hearing on January 28th. One of the most pressing is about the impact on traffic around Peyton Street and Anderson Boulevard. Residents claim that traffic around these areas is already troubling and that adding the apartments will cause chaos for commuters. Additionally, violation of the zoning law that states building cannot be taller than three stories is a major concern. Not only does the apartment complex break this rule but many Genevans claim that such a tall building will look out of place in the residential area. Other claimed implications include not enough green space included in the plans, the plot not being large enough for the proposed buildings and increased noise in such a quiet neighborhood.

Max Fiedler, business owner and senior at Geneva High School, stated in an interview, “I am against them in the current location but I’m for the concept of something being developed.”  The building site and location would be close to GHS, which would increase traffic to those students and faculty who drive to school.  The Fielder family also have a long-term residence in Geneva, 35 years, which he says impacts his opinion.  

High school students may not be directly impacted by the construction of the apartments, beside the new traffic load, but as people who live in the community, they are given a decision whether or not to continue living in Geneva.  The building of these new apartments may contribute to the choice they make, as well as any person looking for a place to live in. Mr. Burns, teacher at GHS, said in an interview,“We can’t avoid the fact things are going to change, I don’t want to see…changes that are going to affect downtown negatively.”