The student news site of Geneva Community High School in Geneva, Illinois

Voyager

• June 6Stay Informed!!!

• June 6See You Next Year!!!

• June 6Happy Summer!!!

As seasons change, so do sports

Michael Wilkins, Staff Writer

As the leaves littering the ground are covered with the year’s first frost, it is finally time to turn our attention to the winter sports season at Geneva High School.

This past weekend, the remaining Vikings fall teams finished competition, with the Girl’s Cross Country team finishing 9th in the state meet and the Football team losing to Bradley-Bourbonnais in the round of 16.

There is no rest for many of Geneva’s best athletes. Football star Sean Chambers will begin the basketball season this week just 3 days after finishing with pigskin.

Some winter sports are already well under way such as boys bowling. Competing in their first tournament this past weekend, the team finished 8th. Individual standouts included junior Jordan Soto (who finished 11th with a 1156 6-game series).

Many winter teams have high hopes headed into the year. After qualifying for state last year, both the boys’ basketball and gymnastics teams are hoping to repeat their successes and maybe even bring home a title. The girls’ basketball team will try to build off their impressive finish from the previous season, where they fell just short of the state semifinals. Girls bowling and wrestling, both coming off of trying years, will hope to rebound. An infusion of younger talent may be the key to both their seasons.

For some teams, the winter is not a start but a change of venue. The dance team, now 2 years removed from winning the state title, heads into their competition season after performing regular halftime shows at football games. Similarly, the cheerleading squad heads inside to arouse support at basketball games.

Of course, none of these teams could perform at such high levels without the constant support of Geneva’s Blue Crue. After regularly filling the stands at football contests, expect to see many students cheering on their peers at all athletic contests over the next few months.