A check-in with the EBC

Pillows+galore%21

Dan O'Connell

Pillows galore!

The first week in November was a tough one for students in the Entrepreneurship and Business Communications class, known as EBC, at our high school.

Throughout the school there have been many posters relating to items for purchase.  These posters forced many students to ask:  What’s the big deal?

These products, made of recycled club t-shirts, include drawstring bags, bracelets, pillows, gameday rags, and dog toys.  The students in the two EBC classes were originally assigned a project to create the most viable idea for the use of fifty old club t-shirts per class.  These were then given a price that each group decided was reasonable, marketed, and sold.  Some groups put up posters and one group even went on GTV to promote their product, the pillows.

The EBC class, each of which is taught by Mrs. Jamie Dunlap, with the most profit from their products were deemed the winners.  Students from these classes sold their products to students, teachers, and many other community members from October 30th to November 8th.

This project was great for these students because they learned about social entrepreneurship, a central idea in the class.  Social entrepreneurship is entrepreneurship that betters the community by solving problems, and is currently a trending business topic.  This project succeeded in its purpose because each class needed to decide where their profits would go.  All the profits were given away to organizations such as St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Anderson Animal Shelter, and the Blue Crue.

Together, they raised an overall total of $268.98 in profit.  The winners were the students from tenth hour, who sold drawstring bags and dog toys.  They made substantially more money than third hour.

The EBC students will use their newfound knowledge of social entrepreneurship and create great things with it in the future, both in school and in life.