Global Fest

GHS+students+pose+for+a+group+picture.+

Madame Behlow

GHS students pose for a group picture.

This past weekend students traveled to Oswego East High School for Global Fest. Global Fest is an event put on for students from a variety of high schools to explore various languages and cultures through immersions, performances, quiz-bowls, and presentations.
Global Fest offered an array of activities for students to learn. There was many immersions of languages throughout the day. Languages varied from Russian all the way to Hindi. There were other opportunities for students to explore foreign cultures as well. Crafts such as origami and Mardi-Gras mask making gave students a hands-on experience to delve into the riches of cultures.

Avery Moore and Ashley King display their Mardi Gras masks.

To start off the day, students walked through a parade representing their schools. Following the parade, there was a performance by a group of Thai dancers and musicians that gave the students and teachers a taste of Thai music.  Later in the day, students could walk around a marketplace a buy unique souvenirs from around the world, such as, bracelets, wallets, and shirts. On of the more unique souvenirs students could receive was Henna. There was also

(Left to Right) Derik Rush, Canan Ciesielski, Matthew Johnston, Madame Behlow, and Ndidi Ukaobasi show their French pride.
Senora Fors

representatives from Northern Illinois University and University of Illinois to discuss study abroad opportunities. The most popular event throughout the day was Cultural Connection. This was an event much like a quiz bowl. Students from each school would face each other in an intense competition. The questions for the competition varied from pop-culture to foreign affairs. Geneva students made it all the way to the semi-finals!
Global Fest was an authentic field trip that gave students a unique experience to explore foreign languages and cultures. If you are interested in an event like Global Fest, in march their will a field trip called Immersion Day. Check the main office or ask Madame Behlow if you are interested!